My Blog List

Sunday, October 14, 2012

The U.S COAST GUARD


 
               
Sunday, October 14, 2012.
Name of the book: The U.S. COAST GUARD
Author: DENNIS L. NOBLE
Number of pages read: 6

           
The U.S. COAST GUARD
Alexander Hamilton who was the first secretary of the treasury of the US in 1789 realized that the smugglers were evading taxes and he looked for establish a maritime police force to uphold customs laws and also Alexander looked for money to build 10 boats for the police force. Therefore, on august 4, 1790 the congress authorized the request of Hamilton for the creation of the U.S. Revenue Cutter Service. The early missions of the U.S. Revenue Service was battling pirates, the Revenue Cutters received the order to prevent new slaves from being transported by ships. Moreover, to the final civil war the Revenue Cutter service had captured many slavers and freed about 500 slaves.
The quasi-war with France (1798-1801) had encouraged to the U.S create a civil war. The Quasi- war was an undeclared naval war between the United States and France. On October 11, 1814 the captain Frederick Lee who commanded the Cutters Eagle at New Haven had rescued an American ship captured by the British. Therefore, the war of 1812-1815 had been caused for the British practice of impressment of American seamen for the service in the British navy.
Reaction Paragraph
I like this new book about " The U.S. COAST GUARD" because this book relates a part of the history of the U.S. when I finished to read this chapter I can comprehend better some part of the history of US.

2 comments:

  1. I like what you post because it talks about very important character in U.S history. When I researched, Isaw paper currency which had a pictuer of Alexander Hamilton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I expected story about fis for freedom. However, your new book is also very interesting for me.
    I like history event and reason or origin. I think your sentences are more fluently. So, I can understand much easier.

    ReplyDelete